Tuesday 1 July 2014

Ramadan Nights

Ramadan is one of the most important months in the Islamic calendar and is a time for fasting, prayer, self reflection and charity. 

If you attend the evening prayers (Taraweeh) at your local mosque (like myself and my family) then you know how hectic the nights can sometimes be. Here are my top essentials for the night. 


Small bag - A small compact bag is always easier to carry and to stash away whilst you're at the mosque. Big hefty bags are a no-no! The hall can get a bit crowded during Ramadan and you don't want your pretty Longchamp to get squished on #HandbagFail
This pretty purple bag actually belongs to my sister, she got it a couple of years ago from River Island and it's still going strong. It's nice for once to steal something from her, considering she literally lives in my wardrobe. I particularly love the deep purple colour and gold detail, it reminds me of the 40s era. 

Mirror, lip balm and multi-use product - I never pack too many beauty products when heading to the mosque. I always have a compact mirror handy, the one I am loving at the moment is a little souvenir mirror from Thailand that my friend got me, many moons ago. A lip balm of some kind is always handy, chapped lips are no joke, people. Here I have the Bene Balm tinted lip balm by Benefit, it keeps my pout moisturised whilst giving it a little sheen of colour. I always try and have a multi-use product on me, one that can be used on hands, face, lips and body. The one I am taking with me on most nights is the Yu-Be moisturising cream, it includes Vitamin C & E and is a concentrated glycerin moistuiser. It's super absorbent and leaves skin feeling velvety smooth.  I got this little tube from a GlossyBox and it's perfect for moisturising any dry skin areas you may have, whether it's on the face or body. 

Coin purse, travel card holder and phone -  When it comes to small bags/clutches, opt for a little coin purse. Pop a few coins, a note or two and your debit/credit card into it. It's a lot easier then faffing about with a chunky purse. The one I'm using at the moment is a little zip-up Paris themed purse that was given to me as a gift. It's from Accessorize and is very sweet. Accessorize is probably the best place to get zip-up/coin purses from as they have a large selection for decent prices. 
I love my travel card holder, I got it from Forbidden Planet, Gremlins is one of my favourite 80's films after all - anything 80's related is always a win for me. Even if you're travelling by car, it's always handy to have your travel card with you, in a case of an emergency. 
Not much to say on the phone front - just make sure you have it on silent/vibrate, there is nothing more embarrassing than when your phone goes off in the middle of prayer and your Michael Jackson's Beat It ringtone fills the hall...

Glaceau Vitamin Water Defense Raspberry and Apple - It's essential that you bring a bottle of water/juice or in my case Vitamin Water with you. As you have been fasting throughout the day, it's imperative that at night you keep yourself hydrated. It can also tend to get a bit hot and stuffy in the mosque and you will find yourself reaching for your bottle more often than not. I like to drink Glaceau Vitamin Water, my favourite flavour is the Defense Raspberry and Apple, it includes minerals, Vitamin C and zinc. During Ramadan, It's really important to top up on your vitamins when you can. I also try to have a fruit salad when I get home after the mosque, as a healthy bedtime snack :). 

Normally I am so bad when it comes to packing my handbag -  I over pack everything. So it's so refreshing carrying a little bag with me with only the essentials inside. I don't only use this packed bag for Ramadan, I sometimes take it with me (minus the Vitamin Water) when I need to run errands or when I fancy carrying a lighter load. 

For all of you observing the month of  Ramadan - Ramadan Mubarak! 

~Nas~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment